Is masturbation haram in Islam? My dear brothers and sisters, according to Islam and the teachings of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him and his progeny), it is forbidden (Haram). Masturbation has caused much debate and controversy among the Muslim ummah.
Most of us are still unaware of whether it is permissible or forbidden in Islam. After researching and going through many books and teachings of our Prophet (ﷺ), I will provide guidance and clarity on this matter.
Masturbation is defined as an act of sexual self-stimulation till the point of orgasm. Mostly it is done with the use of pornography or sexual fantasies. As such, there is no direct reference to Masturbation in the Quran, but several reasons and Ayahs in the Quran prove it is a forbidden act.
“The greatest form of self-control is the ability to control one’s emotions.”
- There are numerous reasons why Masturbation is considered forbidden in Islam.
- It is a form of adultery and fornication strictly prohibited in Islam.
- The act of Masturbation has been associated with addiction and a potential loss of self-discipline, which is contradictory to the principles of Islam.
- Due to its complete concentration on pleasure and the fact that it is a form of non-procreative sex, Masturbation has historically been viewed as a sin. It has also been assumed that Masturbation weakens the body or causes the loss of sexual potency.
- Masturbation is a addiction that can cause a loss of self-control. Hence it is considered the opposite of Islamic teachings.
- The excessive habit of Masturbation can result in adverse physical and psychological effects on the individual.
Side effects of is Masturbation hara.
- Disobedience to Allah.
- Excessive dopamine release is harmful.
- Alteration of Brain chemistry.
- Impact on sleep.
- Psychological impact.
- Effect on sexual functioning.
- Prevents the growth of limbs (such as the Urethra).
- Weakening of faith.
- Damage to the soul.
- Negative impact on one’s character.
As proof, I have mentioned a few verses of the Quran related to Masturbation, backed by scientific research proving that Masturbation is Haram.
why is masturbation haram as per Quran
“Whoever seeks chastity, Allah will make him chaste, and whoever seeks help from anybody other than Allah, He will leave him to the one he seeks help from,” the Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) said. (Tirmidhi).
There are numerous reasons which prohibit an individual from indulging in Masturbation, such as:
- Those who guard their private parts, except in the presence of their spouses or those whom their right hands possess, for sure, are not to be blamed. (Quran 23:5-7)
- Do not approach illegal sexual intercourse. Indeed, it is wickedness and evil in a way. (Quran 17:32)
- And let those who cannot find a match keep themselves chaste (abstaining from all sexual activities) until Allah provides for them from His bounty. (Quran 24:33)
- And those who do not invoke another deity with Allah or kill the soul which Allah has prohibited [to be killed], except by right, do not commit unlawful sexual intercourse. And whomever does so will face a punishment. (Quran 25:68)
- According to a Hadith described by Abdullah ibn Mas’ud, Prophet Muhammad said: “O young men, whoever among you can manage to get married, let him do so, for it is more effective in lowering the gaze and guarding one’s purity. And whoever cannot do so, let him fast, for it will be a protection for him. (Bukhari and Muslim)
- And do not throw [ownself] with your [own] hands into demolition. (Quran 2:195)
- Do not seek what you do not understand. For sure, the hearing, the sight, and the heart – for all those [one] will be questioned. (Quran 17:36)
- And do not make your hand [as] handcuff to your neck or extend it totally and become inculcate and insolvent. (Quran 17:29)
These were some of the verses from the Quran about different types of chaste, but it is still not clear whether Masturbation is haram or not.
Marry, for marriage is the tradition of the Prophet (SAW) and whoever turns away from my tradition is not of me. (Imam Ali’s sayings)Sunan Ibn Majah, Book 9, Hadith 1846
According to research published on Mdpi, it was found that worse orgasmic function is associated with frequent Masturbation among men, Hence which results in lower sexual desire and lower satisfaction levels, as well as higher indications of delayed ejaculation.
For those people who were in a sexual relationship, more frequent Masturbation resulted in delayed ejaculation. There were more relationship problems, including sexual incompatibility, to name a few.
There are numerous problems related to the use of pornography, such as erectile dysfunction, low libido, difficulty achieving orgasm, sexual dysfunction, and adverse effect on partnered sex. Kinsey Institute researchers were the first to find out in 2007 that erectile dysfunction and low libido are caused by watching pornography.
Since then, only Internet has surged.
Pornography use has been linked to various sexual dysfunctions and dissatisfaction, including erectile dysfunction, low libido, difficulty achieving orgasm, and adverse effects on partnered sex. Researchers at the Kinsey Institute were among the first to report on pornography-induced erectile dysfunction and low libido in 2007.
Since then, there has been growing evidence that pornography is among the highest contributors to the sudden rise of sexual dysfunction rates, particularly in young males.
According to the studies, researchers also found that the frequent surge in Internet pornography is linked to reduced sexual desire, diminished enjoyment of intimacy, and lower relationship enjoyment.
While some research reports say otherwise, pornography is unrelated to rising sexual difficulties in young men. One study suggested that frequent porn watching is strongly and negatively related to participants’ marital quality and satisfaction with their sexual life.
But most research suggests that pornography harms an individual’s mind and body. Some studies indicate that Masturbation can have a short-term positive effect on reducing sexual anxieties and relationships and enhancing sexual satisfaction.
Study Published Stats
Though there are no accurate statistics on Masturbation worldwide because of the cultural and social taboos associated with the topic, some research has been done on this topic, and stats on Masturbation from around the world are.
- According to the Journal of Sex Research, among a sample of one thousand adults in the United States, 41.7% were women, and 72.2% of men reported masturbating in the past year.
- Durex Global Sex survey in 2005 conducted a study in a sample of over 26,000 adults from 26 different countries; 60% of the men reported masturbating in the past four weeks in China and 95% in Denmark. And for Women, the percentage ranges from 25% in Singapore to 81% in Sweden.
- A similar study published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior in 2017 over 28,000 samples of Adults from 29 different countries. Men who reported masturbating in the past year ranged from 50.3% in Egypt to 94.8% in Sweden. Similarly, for women, the percentage was 21.8% in Egypt to 71.3% in Sweden.
- Another study conducted in India found that among samples of over 2,500 adults, 62.2% of men and 36.8% of women reported masturbating the previous year.
wasting sperm in islam
This is considered haram (forbidden) in Islam because intentionally destroying something is regarded as the valuable or essential building block of life, and the purpose of sexual activity is procreation. The Quran and Hadith of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him and his progeny) provide clear guidance.
Quranic verse that relate to wasting sperm in Islam
And those who protect their private parts except their wives or those their right hands possess, for sure, are not to be blamed. Whoever goes beyond that, therefore, is a transgressor.” (Quran 23:5-7)
Side Effects of Masturbation
Science and many studies published over the Internet have proven that it weakens the sexual organs and creates partial looseness in them. Masturbation prevents the growth of limbs such as the Urethra (it is a duct through which urine is discharged).
Psychological and Social Harms
Youth who perform this heinous act regularly become aware of their wrongdoing and experience a sense of guilt for their actions. They internally struggle with feelings of guilt in such a way that in between the need to commit the act and the sorrowful feeling of Sin.
Overuse of this heinous crime produces timidity, an increase in nervous agitation, a lack of self-confidence, overwhelming shame, a decrease in the desire to study, and an increased need for solitude and introversion. Similar to how excessive use of this terrible act fosters attachment and addiction.
How to Avoid masturbation?
These are some of the general tips that I would advise to a person to help him avoid Masturbation according to Islamic principles:
Develop a strong relationship with Allah.
This means understanding the importance of nearness towards Allah in this modern world where the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, ‘A time will come upon the people when the one who adheres to his religion will be like one who holds a burning coal in his hand.
Performing essential Islamic duties like Salat, fasting, and staying away from haram will help you gradually decrease Masturbation (This is a lengthy process).
Avoid triggers: Identity what triggers your urge to masturbate and take steps to avoid them. For example, avoid watching porn and having inappropriate conversations.
Set a schedule to keep yourself busy: Find ways that leave no room for idle thoughts or boredom—for example, any hobby, reading books, starting your youtube channel, etc.
Surround yourself with good company: find yourself in the company of those who encourage you to be your best self.
Seek help: If you are struggling with Masturbation or any other sexual activity, seek help from experts such as religious leaders or support groups.
Practicing modesty (lowering gaze): protecting one’s temptation in Islam has been given great importance and called Taqwa, and failure to do so can lead to ruin. That’s why having a proper understanding of the Islamic way of living life is essential. The eyes reflect the heart, as Allah Ta’ala has made them so.
How big of a sin is masturbation haram in Islam?
Yes, Masturbation is haram in Islam. Sexual activity outside of marriage is Harams in Islam. However, specifically, Masturbation is not mentioned in the Quran. Any kind of sexual activity apart from marriage is forbidden in Islam.
The severity of Sin has always been a matter of debate among Islamic scholars. According to PRNewswire, 78% of adults worldwide masturbate, including you and me.
Regardless of the seriousness of this act. Islam encourages individuals to avoid indulging in Masturbation for a life that leads to spiritual growth, moral development, and attaining paradise in the afterlife.
Removing any habit will require sincere effort, commitment, and dedication. Strive to please the Almighty Allah, the most merciful, and keep your actions pure. I had been addicted to Masturbation as well, but Alhamdulillah, now it is limited to once a month or less, but it took me a year or more to get rid of this habit.